Summer breathes in new life and lightness for the spirit and appetite! With the delicious blend of blueberries, almonds and fresh tarragon, this meal is a quick lunch or dinner to satiate your appetite and your senses! I first made this recipe when a friend was following Whole 30 and wanted a simple lunch option for her bachelorette crew - everyone LOVED it!
This recipe calls for Ras el Hanout, a traditional North African spice blend which includes cardamom, cinnamon, clove, allspice, turmeric – it’s a deceptively sweet medley without any sugar! For a cleaner flavor profile, marinate the chicken in a little olive oil, red wine vinegar, light onion powder and fresh tarragon for 2-6 hours before cooking.
I use a prepared dressing here because it saves times and is a product I trust, made with simple, whole ingredients. You could prepare your own dressing with olive oil, red wine vinegar, champagne vinegar, sugar free ground mustard, fresh tarragon, salt, pepper.
As I mentioned, for anyone following the Whole 30 diet and/or looking to eat cleanly without gluten, dairy, soy, eggs or added sugar, this is a winner! Note: you'll want to use the homemade dressing which does not include eggs.
All my recipes are always gluten free and dairy free, and any other common allergens are called out below. I will also always list the highest quality ingredients. These reflect sustainable agricultural practices with organic conditions free of toxic chemicals, hormones, antibiotics, GMOs. Any recipe may be adapted to what you have available and will be equally delicious!
· Chives & garlic (nightshade) in dressing
· Eggs (in dressing)
· Garlic (in chicken preparation)
· Garlic – Contains sulphur compounds to boost immune health (natural cold remedy) and aid heart health, supports brain health
· Spinach - Rich in iron (red blood cell production) for energy, lutein (eye health), Vitamin K (bone health)
· Arugula – Superfood! Excellent antioxidant, aids with mineral absorption, contains copper, iron, Vitamin A (eye health), Vitamin C (immune support), Vitamin K (bone health), folate (brain and blood health), great for weight loss, improves metabolism, lots of phytochemicals
· Free Range Chicken - Excellent protein for cellular building blocks, antibiotic-free, no added hormones
· Blueberries – Superfood! KING of antioxidants with high anthocyanidins for heart health, low glycemic index
· Almonds – Great plant protein source, rich with antioxidants, Vitamin E (brain and heart health), fiber source, many minerals (in the skin when unblanched)
· Tarragon – Assists with insulin availability to lower blood sugar, helps ease inflammation and pain, good mineral source
**Tarragon has a slightly nutty and licorice flavor and adds incredible flavor dimension to this salad!
Equipment You'll Need
Small Dipping Bowl
Deep Saute/Brazier Pan (2” deep) with a lid
Ingredients - serves 4
· 1-1.5 lbs organic Free Range Chicken Breasts
· 2 tablespoons olive oil